Taste Tuolumne

Musings on Food, Fun & Real Estate in the Mother Lode

Carbon Monoxide Detectors– Required in Homes Effective July 1, 2011

Carbon monoxide– a gas produced whenever any fuel is burned. It is odorless and tasteless, but highly toxic. Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Exposure to high levels can kill a person in minutes.

 According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.

 Carbon Monoxide Detector– a relatively inexpensive device similar to a smoke detector that signals detection of carbon monoxide in the air. 

Effective July 1, 2011, per California’s Carbon Monoxide Poison Prevention Act of 2010, carbon monoxide detectors will be required in every “single family dwelling unit”. Violators will receive a 30 day notice to correct and if they don’t each offense is punishable by a maximum fine of $200. 

Now I doubt that the “Carbon Monoxide Police” will be going door to door checking for compliance but I ask you this….with Carbon Monoxide Detectors being such an inexpensive and easy way to save lives and prevent illness why wait until July 1? 

If you’d like a handout with more detailed information, please give us a call. 209-536-3000

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on February 16, 2011 by in Home Keeping & Maintenance.
%d bloggers like this: